Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Topeka
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re preparing to, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and yours. You might be pondering how you might customize your house with decor, paint, and furnishings. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, make certain you consider home security too. Keeping your loved ones protected should always be a point of emphasis, and we’ll help you do so with our safety tips for new homeowners in Topeka.
Conduct a safety audit of your new Topeka property
Now that you’re contemplating safety, see what your new home already has. First, make sure you have operational fire alarms. Try every one and replace batteries if needed. Are CO detectors in the house? Do you need a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a smart time to update door locks and check all window locks. Go through every space and get to know your new home.
Smart security tips for your Topeka home
Once you’ve done your initial check of locks and safety alarms, you can consider elevating your protection. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Topeka.
- Opt for a full-featured home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Topeka can do is incorporate a home security system. Today’s wireless technology allows you to keep an eye on your property even when you’re not there. You are able to scan real-time video feeds, control door locks, and even communicate with people on your front porch right from your mobile device. You can custom-tailor your system with worthwhile security measures like video cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Modernize your outdoor lights. Outdoor lights with motion detectors are an effective way to discourage potential intruders. You might even incorporate them with video cameras. The tripping of a motion sensor can tell your surveillance to begin recording.
- Take care of your yard. Do you have an unblocked view of your property from inside? Are there oversized bushes and trees obstructing the view? Remove likely places to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will appreciate it too.
- Get to know others in your community. Speaking of your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you are friendly with people close to you, there’s a greater likelihood they’ll let you know if they see suspicious behavior. You can also join your community’s social media page if one is established.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you opt for a modern smart home, you can make it seem like you’re on site by illuminating smart lights at programmed moments. This is a great option when you’re at work or on vacation.